23.9.08

pop music with surprising beautiful eletronic sounds

the billowing-voice music -- (I realized I shldn't've said melisma, that's a part of it but contour-music seems like a better thing to call it, right? I mean, if you want to keep the wallachian one in there, & I do...) -- well I want to do a lot more about that, & have some grand recordings in mind. but I wanted to put up a few pop songs that have surprising beautiful electronic sounds in them. I feel delighted when boldly synthetic (or heavily electrically manipulated) sounds are used in music not oriented as "electronic".

kino, кино, is about the biggest thing in russian rock music. imagine a world where Kurt Cobain had been assassinated by the fbi. I think there's a really great sweetness in their music. it doesn't take a fruit bat. the leader of the group is Viktor Robertovich Tsoj (Виктор Робертович Цой if you're counting), born in leningrad in 1962. you can find information easily on the internet, about them, & there are the usual youtube shrines & didja-knows. it's got the gawkiness of other rock music from warsaw pact nations, a kind of honor-to-be-nominated infatuation with its ability to be rock and roll. there's a great sensitivity to the band; they can be moving in a puppy-in-a-fog sort of way.

but what I really want to play is the song kazhduju noch', which just means every night. here, listen to it. I mean, it isn't a great song. russia o perhaps not so jamaica-mon, comrade? & the lyrics are a cascade of tumbling peaches:

знаешь, каждую ночь я вижу во сне море
знаешь, каждую ночь я слышу во сне песню

знаешь, каждую ночь я вижу во сне берег
знаешь, каждую ночь...


znaesh'. kazhduju noch' ja vizhu vo snje more
znaesh', kazhduju noch' ja slyshu vo snje pjesnju
znaesh', kazhduju noch' ja vizhu vo snje bereg
znaesh', kazhduju noch'...


you know, every night I dream of the sea
you know, every night I dream a new song
you know, every night I dream of the shore
you know, every night...

harmless, yes? vapo-rub! or so it seems. but then, about two minutes in, someone plays a mercury saxophone & the room becomes shimmering digits. what the fuck is that sound?! thank you, world of personal computing. one thing about russia is it produced the best future -- I mean the glass-ghosted future of constructivism, not the future that happened, with all the bootlegged softwear & tenacious militarism -- a future so good we still use it to signify a thrilling feeling of being on the edge.

in the soviet science fiction movie the heavens are calling (небо зовет, if you've got your decoder ring handy), a team of noble cosmonauts declare they're going to, I think mars?, on a particular date in the near-future. a team of privately-financed amyeriken-kepitolizm astronavty announce the same day that they're going to make the same trip but arrive a day sooner. funded by advertising! the soviets beg their comrades-in-all-but-blue-jeans-&-notions-about-the-means-of-production to join with them in a good-of-mankind joint mission, but the greedy gringoviches refuse &, predictably, run themselves promptly by the monocle right into harm's way, leaving the soviets the likely-suicide business of their rescue. brrrrrr! but what's gorgeous is when the cosmonauts (see! their future was so good that there's a separate word for when they go into space, just like aegyptos was so good at death that there's a different word for the
m when they die! I wonder whether Viktor Pelevin's noticed that?) land their empire-state-shaped spaceship on a sedona-red asteroid. it's beautiful!

(

)

Omar Souleyman is a singer from syria, & here is a recording of his dabke 2001. the keyboard sound is marvelous, & takes attention right away. the guy playing it is called Abo il Riz. a really inventive player & the atari september of his tone does everything to me.

I have elsewhere mentioned the wondrous Czechoslovkian band manželé. I've mentioned I think already that I know nothing at all about them, but here is a song called sedl jsem si do bláta. I'd love a gloss on that. but it's the most beautiful thing in the world -- I hope someone is closely listening to this -- it is the most beautiful thing in the world. & the bursts of electronics, the nynex birdsong that gleaps its way in & out of the song, ma-donna! I love this song.

who is a fucking class act, I'll tell you who, is Kate Bush. here is a song called king of the mountain from aerial, the 2-disc set she released a few years ago. synthetic sounds keep the whole thing together here. her taste in her own work seems to be excellent. I think we do Kate Bush a disservice when we maximize her coolness. because she is cool, but the point is some people feel alienated by all that inflatable furniture. supposedly having children has made her weird? I bet Kate Bush's feelings get hurt all the time.

there's a good hungarian band from the e
arly 80s called európa kiadó, which I think means, more or, if not more, less, made in europe. (any one beszelek magyarul out there?) here is their song nincs sok idöd, which means we haven't got much time. I'm including it here mostly because of the careful & lovely arrangement, & especially the electric guitar. beautiful, rich sound. & the keyboard is marvelous. (makes me think of zelda.) I'd like to know a lot more about this band.

I hope some people have been reading the blog so far, & that it's of some interest to people. thanks to everybody who's been encouraging about it. I really do urge you to send me feedback, if you have it, at hudbahudby@gmail.com. good news is that my friend Andrew has agreed to do a guest-blog sometime soon. he's a doe of a guy & has good sound vibrations, & he & I together are a band, called either guns, germs, & steel or polar bears blah blah blah something something I don't remember. I think we have a myspace page.

also, here's one more thing. Roy Zimmerman is a really terrifically clever & seemingly nice guy. he used to have a band called the foremen. it's full of joke which is always a little like being in sewage. but he's done some things I've really liked. & anyhow, I thought this was worth watching.



blog blog. bloglodyte. bloglownight. far off suddenly. back to shore now.

2 comentaris:

Lauren ha dit...

yes, more blog, more more more, please.

Unknown ha dit...

Wow. Great post! Nincs Sok Idöd, has almost everything I could ask for in a song.